Skip to content
Home » What To Know About Taking your Pet Abroad

What To Know About Taking your Pet Abroad

Traveling abroad to EU countries as well as Northern Ireland (NI) with your pet ferret, cat or dog will be changed at the 1st of January in 2021.

Pet passports issued by Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) including Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Isle of Man is now ineligible when traveling to any EU nation as well as Northern Ireland.

You may still be able to make use of your pet passport if you’re travelling within an EU country and the passport you received was issued in:

An EU country within the EU.
Faroe Islands
Northern Ireland
San Marino
Vatican City State

What are the things I’ll require to take with me when I travel with my pet from and to Great Britain?

When traveling to and from Great Britain (GB) to the EU with your dog or aid They will require:

a microchip
A valid rabies vaccination your pet should be at twelve weeks old prior to the time they can receive a vaccination
treatment for tapeworms (if necessary)
An animal health certificate (AHC) AHC is required within 10 days of the day you intend to travel.

Make sure you check your route before departing to ensure you travel on approved routes.

Assistance dogs

If you’re traveling with an assist dog going back to the EU it is not necessary to need to travel on approved routes. You just need to inform authorities that you’re traveling with an aid dog and ensure that the proper tests are performed.

It is also not necessary to take an approved route if travel to GB via the other UK nations, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.

What is the best time for my pet to get the rabies vaccine?

Your pet must be at minimum 12 weeks old to get the vaccination. You must then stay for 21 days after the first vaccination of your pet before you are able to travel.

Traveling towards Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

In addition to this in addition to the above, if you travel with your dog towards Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta you’ll need to treat your dog for tapeworm.

Your pet needs to undergo treatment between one and five days prior to arriving in one of the countries listed above. Your vet should also record all the details of the AHC in the aftermath of treatment.

How should I proceed after I am in the EU?

If you are arriving within the EU You will need to go to the Travellers’ Point of Entry and present a valid evidence that your animal’s AHC microchip, vaccinations and treatment for tapeworms (if required) prior to being permitted to continue your journey.

What is the maximum time I am permitted to travel for?

The AHC is valid for four months traveling in the EU. Additionally, you must return into Great Britain within that period or your AHC expires.

Recurring journeys to EU or NI

Your pet will require an new AHC for every visit in Europe, the EU as well as NI.

If your pet is vaccinated with an current rabies vaccine background following your first AHC vaccination, they do not require a second rabies vaccine prior to travel in either the EU and NI.

However, if you’re traveling direct into Finland, Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta then you’ll require tapeworm treatment on each of your trips.
What age do my pet have to be before they are able to travel?

The rules in GB for pet travel to or out of England, Scotland or Wales state they are aren’t allowed to travel until they reach 15 weeks old. This is the time it is required to reach the age to be vaccinated and a 21-day waiting period following the vaccination to allow for the vaccine to be effective.

How many animals can I bring along on my travels?

You are able to travel with up to five pets or from GB. The only exceptions are when you’re participating in or are training

in a contest
in an event
at the course of a sporting event

You must bring a written proof of your participation at the event at the Travellers’ Point of Entry.

Your pet must be older than six months and actively participating in the event or in training and meet the other requirements to be allowed into the country.

Find out additional requirements

Before leaving, be aware of any parasites or diseases which you need to know about, or laws in the country which are different from those we have at home in the UK. For instance, there are illnesses in south-western Mediterranean and other places that is recommended to guard your pet from.

Be sure to ask your veterinarian regarding any health issues and get advice on how to protect yourself against mosquitoes, ticks, and sandflies, all of which could cause illness. There could be additional risks, like blisters on the feet caused by hot surfaces, or poisonous snakes you and your pet may not be experienced with.

The laws regarding dog ownership differ across countries. In Italy for instance (as as on some ferry boats) the dogs owners can be required to keep their pets muzzled while out in public. Therefore, you’ll need to buy one and ensure that your pet is properly equipped to wear one and that you have it on you throughout the day.