Skip to content
Home » Different Insurance Options For Landlords

Different Insurance Options For Landlords

The kind of insurance for landlords that you need will depend on the risks you’d like to protect against. It is possible to safeguard your building from damage and yourself from compensation claims however, you could think about insurance that guards against legal costs and risks during void periods and many more.

What kind of insurance do I require as an owner?

There’s a wide range of landlord insurance coverages you could look into, each one of which covers a specific risk for you or your building. They include the landlord’s coverage for liability, building coverage and the loss of rent.

It is important to keep in mind that a standard home insurance policy isn’t likely to provide protection if you decide to lease your home out. To be safe, it is essential to purchase a dedicated landlord insurance.

Which protections do you require as a tenant?

Liability insurance for landlords

Insurance for landlord liability protects you from the expense of the cost of compensation arising from injuries or damages to a tenant or visitors as a result of something that happens to your property. These kinds of claims are often significant, so it is essential to be insured. Claims arising from incidents could be as easy as a trailing cable or, perhaps defective electrics. Insurance for landlord liability protects you against the costs of the claim as well as legal costs.

Buildings insurance for landlords

Landlord buildings insurance protects you from damage to the property, that is caused by an event like flooding, fire or vandalism. The insurance protects buildings’ structure, like floors and walls but not the contents. For this, you can read more about the insurance for contents of the landlord below. Also, keep in mind that your standard home insurance policy won’t protect you from the risks involved if you decide to let your property.

Insurance for contents of the landlord

Insurance for the contents of your home or apartment protects you from items like furniture and white goods against damage or theft. However, it is important to keep in mind that this insurance doesn’t protect you from the normal wear and tear that happens in the course of the lease. In the same way, it is crucial to remember that a landlord’s contents insurance policy won’t protect your tenant’s belongings Therefore, you might want to make them aware of their own insurance.

Insurance for loss of rent

Insurance for loss of rent is paid out in the event that your property is inaccessible for a time because of an insured event , such as flooding or fire. This isn’t to be confused with the tenant default insurance that is intended to safeguard your property from non-paying tenants.

Tenant default insurance

If your tenants are unable to pay rent in two months consecutively, the tenant default insurance can protect your expenses. This kind of insurance could provide up to 8 months rent in such situations. But, you need to be sure to run credit or referencing checks prior to the beginning of the lease to be protected.

Accidental damage insurance

Accidental damage insurance protects you from issues such as an accidental spill of wine on your sofa or an unplanned DIY mistake. Depending on the coverage you choose to purchase it could also shield you from outdoor incidents like damaged windows. However it is important to keep in mind that insurance against accidental damage does not cover regular wear and tear and generally doesn’t protect you against the work that is performed by contractors.

Insurance for alternative accommodation

If your tenancy agreement demands that you provide alternative accommodation in the event that your home is deemed uninhabitable the insurance for alternative accommodation should be able to pay for the costs. As with the insurance for loss of rent, however, the alternative accommodation insurance will only be paid out in the case that your tenants need to leave because of an insured event like flood or fire.

Insurance for unoccupied properties

If you’re concerned about the security of your home during empty periods, consider purchasing landlord cover for your property that is not being used. This will protect you during the times that the property is vacant However, it is important to remember that you might have to conduct regular checks in order to be protected.

Insurance for home emergencies of the landlord

The landlord home emergency insurance gives you with 24-hour access for assistance with drainage, plumbing heating, power as well as damage to access points that may cause the property to be unsafe. In some instances, homeowners’ home emergency insurance could include the cost of alternative accommodations in the case there is a chance that any of the issues makes the home uninhabitable for a time.